Originally posted 2020-09-14 00:01:36.
Search Engine Optimization is a book with seven seals, but still, there are ways to improve the search engine ranking to increase the visibility of your business webpage.
The abbreviation SEO means Search Engine Optimization
So, what is Search Engine Optimization (SEO) good for? The motive to do SEO is to achieve a highly ranked web page in Google and other search engine results. And the reason for that is to attract a lot of visitors.
What is Search Engine Optimization Effort
First of all, be aware, that it is a lot of work, but it pays out in the long run. Of course, you can get visitors to your page with Google AdWords and Facebook ads. But this will cost you a lot of money over time.
What is Search Engine Credibility
Being on top of the organic results creates much higher credibility in the mind of your visitors. Credibility is the currency you pay with, on the internet. Especially if you want to sell any service or product on your web page!
So, first of all, you need to understand how search engines sort the pages in their index:
The most essential criteria are to provide useful content to their users in the search results. That’s why the more text you got on your page the better: Search engines love text, even spoken text, especially in YouTube videos.
Due to the fact, that the search engines cannot really measure the usefulness of the content, they make assumptions on the data they can get.
This data contains:
- How often is the search phrase on the web-page? This is what you got completely under your control. I will go into detail about this in the chapter about on-site optimization. That’s what you need to get started with.
- Readability of your page. Texts with easy grammar and without typos get ranked higher. Like the sentences before. And please, don’t do it like that:
Or did you enjoy to read this sentence? So use a spell checker! It is beneficial to put your content in short sentences, that even a child can understand it. In the chapter about on-site optimization, I will discuss tools that support you in doing so.
- Usability of the page. The most essential usability feature is the availability of a mobile version. This means: Does it get displayed in a convenient way on the smaller displays from phones and tablets? Most of the themes (design templates) available for WordPress do that automatically for you. This feature of the themes is called “responsive”. Just make sure to use a theme, that offers a responsiveness functionality.
What is the Search Engine on a higher level?
- The number of visitors and if they continue on other pages of your site increases the page ranking. But if they are leaving it quickly, the ranking decreases. The more visitors, the better. And the more of your pages they visit improves the ranking of your page in general as well. You can easily improve this, by adding links to other sub-pages. This will be discussed in the on-site optimization chapter.
- Duration of each visit, each long visit increases the ranking, short visits decrease it. So you want to keep your visitors engaged for longer than 10 seconds, the longer they stay on your page the better. Implementing videos is a good way to achieve this. You find some more thoughts about this in the book: “Networking at Dream Beaches” on how to utilize Youtube.
- Quality, the number of inbound links and how often they are used. An inbound link from a high ranked page adds more value to your page than one from a lower-ranked page. You can get instantly a lot of inbound links to a newly created page by reusing a sub-domain, which I will explain in the off-site optimization chapter.
What is Search Engine Optimization priority?
The priorities the search engines put on the criteria mentioned above are not completely known. And the search engine operators don’t publish them. Because they want to avoid, that their algorithm gets re-engineered.
What is Search Engine Optimization reaction time?
To make it even more difficult, Google shows the results of an old index. So the results of your optimizations will be visible only after a while. This can take up to three months.
So you got to be patient with the search engines after you got your homework done! And if you want to start a new business, publish the webpage early enough. At least 3 months before you want to start with your business, even if it has little content in the beginning. So that the search engines can add it to their index in time and display your page in the search results.
Learn more about what is Search Engine Optimization and how to do it
Stay tuned for a step by step description for: