Without a well-trained competitive profile, nobody will become free on their own. Instead, he would take a “safe path” and avoid critical situations. However, the path to such supposed security is exactly the opposite of that which leads to freedom. You need a Training Plan for that.
In the third part of the mental strength training, you were able to set your competition profile precisely. How good are your values for the individual factors that together make up your competitive self? Are you satisfied with your evaluation? If so, my congratulations.
Or were you more “disillusioned”? Then I want to encourage you. It is much easier for you to improve your optimal competition profile than you might think at the moment. Roughly estimated, you can even increase the quality by 300% within just 3 months.
Do you think this is over the top? No, it is rather an understatement. Do you know why? Because most people never deal with these things at all.
Awareness creates the ground on which we can learn. And if we have never consciously trained a certain characteristic, we can make great progress here very quickly. So let’s get started. It’s worth it, it’s fun and the results are quickly visible, and due to that, it will be very encouraging for you!
Strengths and weaknesses
Let’s now consider the evaluation of the entire test from part 4. You remember what I recommended for strengths and weaknesses:
We should build on our strengths
find solutions to our weaknesses.
A Weakness that does not hinder us from achieving our goals is not really a weakness. It’s just a strength we don’t have.
But be aware: It is different if we need to activate our competitive self! Here we have to eliminate our weaknesses. Because the chain breaks at its thinnest point in the competition. We cannot afford weaknesses in the crucial moments in our lives. After it, we can go back to our real behavior, where we accept our weaknesses. But in competitive situations, we need our best, strongest, flawless side.
As you already know, the most fatal weakness is being permanently unmotivated. We can fix everything else relatively quickly. However, we do not have to put up with permanently low motivation, as many authors claim. It is not true that people with little motivation are hopeless. I will show you several ways that you can learn to be more motivated.
If you have permanently found that your motivation is too low, you must work on it first of all. Those who have no motivation harm themselves, if they want to fix their weaknesses, without having previously improved their motivation. They will give up, find excuses and, as a result, reduce their confidence even further.
But if your motivation is 7 – or even higher – you should start now. But not with all weaknesses at once. Only with a maximum of four.
It is best to take only one or two. If you are very ambitious, there maybe three. Only top-performers should go for a maximum of four at a time. If you have seen that the following program works for you, you can anytime redo it for the remaining ones.
So choose the two, three or maximum four factors with the lowest values. And then it starts. But please be aware: The following training is as demanding as physical training. Depending on individual experience, even more.
The following training plan is proven:
- Write down the reasons why you want to strengthen your competitive behavior. In this way, you strengthen your motivation to actually implement the changes.
- Write down the factors for which you have the lowest values.
- Now formulate the weaknesses in the corresponding positive form. All you have to do is look at the term to the left of your weakness. But use whole sentences, and express it emotionally.
- Find a way to keep that new strength in your mind. Use auto-suggestion, and visualize.
- Perhaps you pin up a paper with your newly formulated strengths at your home. In a place, where you get to see it frequently. Make it the screensaver of your mobile phone and computer. Write it with lipstick on your bathroom mirror. Make sure to include a copy in your abundance or gratitude journal.
- Visualize a situation in which you are under great pressure and use the skills of an excellent actor. Here you should especially play this strength that is currently a weakness you are working on.
- Do this visualization training, every morning and every evening. It only takes a few seconds. But within a month you can turn your weaknesses into strengths, very playful.
If you take it seriously: Create a training plan for each of the individual (maximum 4) weaknesses. For example, “My plan to take risks”. Or: “My plan to have a pronounced body language”.
Check your competition profile again after thirty days. Do the whole test again. Because one influences the other automatically. How do you feel now?
Did you realize, that it is possible to train the mental strength like a muscle in our body? Just as we can train our calf muscles and biceps, we can train individual mental strengths.
But, as I said before, you will only go through such a special program if you are motivated. So if you know the WHY, you will be doing it. Or if you suffer due to it, too. Why else should we put effort into something? Either for pleasure, something that really makes sense for us, or for pain, something we want to avoid!
Incidentally, a really good sports coach divides the training into three areas: Physical training is only one part. The other two parts are – you probably already guessed it, are of course, the mental training and the training of emotions. A really good trainer or coach also knows that the mental area is the most important!
Unless you make a living as a professional athlete, you don’t need a lot of time for your physical training. One hour a day is usually enough. So you have a lot of time to focus on the most important area: Your mental training.
3 factors that can hold us back
If you follow this training plan for more mental strength weekly, you may struggle with three things:
- Too little motivation
- Mood swings
Low motivation: What you can do?
- A break could be good for you
- You can think specifically about how you can have more fun
- Plan the fun
- Rethink your goals
- Work on your grace by writing your gratitude journal
Mood swings: What you can do?
- Consciously reduce negative thinking
- Above all, work with the gratitude journal
- Clarify if you have a vitamin B-12 deficiency. Which is likely in winter, if you are living in a region with little daylight.
- Decide to act energetically and positively. Train yourself to be a good actor, see part 3. Because it also changes your mood.
- Drink plenty of water, eat regularly a fat and protein-rich, light and healthy diet. Feel free to measure your blood sugar and if it is high, reduce your carb and sugar intake.
Irritability: What you can do?
- Always tell yourself in critical situations: “This only makes me stronger. I always find a solution.”
- Problems are training situations. So welcome such situations. Irritability is basically a matter of training.
- In every crisis, pretend that you don’t suffer from it emotionally. Acting like that changes the chemistry of your body. You will soon start to feel better.
Most people suffer from not being strong enough. But they are often not aware of this. On the one hand, because they suppress this fact. And on the other hand, because they have no clarity, on how this emotional pain looks like.
Why aren’t most people stronger?
This has to do with the fact that your competitive self is under-developed. Therefore, they quickly feel overwhelmed in particularly important situations. So, it is fundamentally important to train your competitive behavior. Otherwise, we will reach our limits too quickly. Those who go beyond their limits experience pain.
This is the case with the muscles of our body, as well as, with our mental abilities. If we are overwhelmed, we feel pain. We suffer. We flee, because we fear the pain. And by doing so, we avoid the life that would make us happy.
In such situations, most people do not even realize that they are in emotional pain. Everyone understands physical pain. But how feels emotional pain? We first need to learn how it expresses itself. The word “pain” can be misleading here. Psychologists define the following emotions as painful and call their appearance as a form of emotional pain:
- Mental exhaustion
- Negative thinking
- Feelings of depression
- Fear, especially at the point of panic
- Low motivation
- Low self-esteem
Hardly anything is important anymore in our lives in those situations. To overcome such events, we need a strong competitive self. Otherwise, we suffer. We experience emotional pain that manifests itself in a downward spiral. And we want to avoid such pain. Therefore, we run away. Ultimately, such a strategy costs us our mental freedom and our happy life.
The competitive behavior is not inborn, we have to train it. And we CAN train it. We should carefully, step by step expand our limits. Those who constantly go beyond their limits risk injuries. This applies to the mental strength as well as to the muscles of our body. The training program recommended in this part will not overwhelm you. It only requires a certain amount of discipline. In the next part of this topic, we’ll talk about how we can relax, just very playfully. Because the growth takes place during the recovery phases. But only if there was a focussed training before! So, the main point is: How can I learn to love “challenging situations”?
Your Thinking Time For Week 5
About Your Training Plan:
Do your thinking time in a mind storming manner. That means you write a list of ideas for each question. For 1 week, think every day about the following questions and find for each of them at least one new answer or an example per day. Write the answers down in your journal.
- Draw your training plan as described above. Be sure to follow this plan. If working on four weaknesses at a time is too much for you, just choose your greatest weakness. And carry out the 30-day plan with only one weakness. Don’t overwhelm yourself.
- As a fundamental part of the competition profile, think about your strengths. We have not discussed them further in this part because it is more important to address the weaknesses. At least at this point, where the competitive behavior shall be improved.
- Nevertheless, the strengths are of course a wonderful thing. Make a note about your explicit strengths in your gratitude journal. Also, consider what makes this point a particular strength for you.
- Note: Be sure to invest some time to become aware of your strengths. A lot of self-confidence results from this work!
- And finally, write down five things you are grateful for.
On the 7th day analyze your training plan:
- What part of your training did serve you the best?
- What part of it did not serve you?
- How can you optimize your training plan?
- How can you utilize this optimized training plan systematically?
- What action will you take, to ensure you will execute your training plan?
Vital and happy regards