Stop oversleeping by using a simple method to reduce your daily sleeping time.
In a conversation someone told me, she takes a nap before she goes out to party on a Saturday night. This reminded me, that I have heard about a method to avoid oversleeping and to reduce sleeping time to 2-4 hours per day. I did some research on it and a self-test on how to stop oversleeping … with the target archive more time to create an enjoyable life.
Stop Oversleeping: Day 1
How does it feel after the first day with only 3h sleep? I actually couldn’t make it, I had one sleep which was about 4 h plus I skipped one sleep during the day because I started spontaneously and did not arrange my dates accordingly. In the end, I felt always sleepy. But I kept going on, trying to make all sleeping periods 30 minutes max.
Getting started I was facing the following challenges:
How to fall asleep quickly?
Meditation 6*5-30 minutes is 1/2 to 3 h of meditation a day, almost like a Buddhist monk! The cool thing about it is, you do it in your sleeping time, so there is no extra time needed for it. Training to sleep according to this schedule definitely trains to calm down my mind.
How to get awake quickly?
- Breathing of fire: You will find a description of how it works in Part 2 of this post
- A shower or a jump in the pool
- Easy exercise, such as stretching
- Coffee, in case you feel you need it but have it only right after getting up, otherwise, you miss out on your next sleeping period
How to make my gained time most enjoyable?
How to make my time productive?
- Schedule only one major task per wake up phase
Stop Oversleeping: Day 3
Due to eating every 4 hours I never got desperately hungry, so I didn’t overeat. Apart from Saturday, which is my high carb-/junk food day, where everything goes, e.g. Hamburger 🍔 with French Fries, bread 🥖 and Pizza 🍕. The effect was that I ate only 2-3 times per day, slept deeper after the meals, but had a harder time getting up.
When to eat/drink?
Each time I am awake I take a little snack according to my oxygen, water, fat, protein / low carb diet:
- Half a liter of water right after I get up
- a choice out of
- Veggies 🌽
- Fruits 🍎
- Smoothie 🍹
- Salad 🥗
- Nuts 🥜
- Coconut 🥥
- Protein drink
In the first 3 days, I always needed at least one period which was longer. During that time was my birthday 🎂 and I had some drinks 🍷 which definitely was not beneficial to be disciplined, but well worth the fun!
Where to sleep when not having your bed available at home?
- Rent space in a SPA, during the day they are usually not too busy, so it is pretty quiet, it is a convenient temperature for sleeping and even some meditative music might be playing.
- Beach 🏖
- Learn to sleep whilst sitting
- Public Transport: Bus, Train, Plane
- Use earplugs to be able to sleep in a loud environment, I keep using my noise cancellation headset, which also allows me to listen to a guided meditation.
Stop Oversleeping: Day 4
On the 4th day, I thought I can make it and I did stick to my schedule pretty well. But when I got to sleep for my 4 a.m. sleep, I slept all the way through to 9 a.m. Changing the sleep rhythm is like overcoming a major jet lag, so I expect that it should be done soon. In my next post you will learn, why this expectation was by far too optimistic, so continue reading:
Originally posted 2019-04-10 22:34:02.